Monday, February 26, 2007




OOH LA LA


I enjoyed the creations produced in my workshop on Thursday, so thank-you to those who got involved. It was quite bizaare seeing pieces of me on someone else's body.I kept wanting to intervene and say no, no you wear it like this or , why don't you use this. This notion of ownership is part of what i wanted to investigate and i think it was quite frustrating when different artists were given the opportunity to altar the 'semi-cooked meat' in their own individual ways.

For the next workshop i definitely intend to get involved more and think less about entertaining the group. However i am interested in the audience as performer. Tania reminded me of an artist, whose exhibition she saw in Brazil. I think its Peter Friedl (is that who you meant?), who places animal costumes in the gallery space as an invitation to the audience to use them. The audience therefore becomes the exhibition.

Judging by the feedback, i think the danger is the work can become almost too rich and varied, that it loses all focus. there's always been confusion and a lot going on in what i make, mixing up pattern and colour, but how do i bring these these multiple, incoherent strands together? ..or do i just think sod it and accept it as my style.

No comments: